Help on Admin Page
The Admin page lets system administrators perform various administrative tasks:
The options here are:
- System name - what the system gets called in various headers and trailers.
- Feedback name - the name associated with the feedback address.
- Feedback address - the mail address that appears at the bottom of every
page, for mailing comments and bug reports.
- Background color - the color of the page background.
- Text color - the color of plain text.
- Link color - the color of active links.
- Visited links - the color of links that have been visited before.
- Warning color - commands that exercise special powers, such as host
or sysadmin, are marked with this color.
- Logo URL - source for the upper-right-corner logo.
- Maximum conf logo size - the maximum size of a conference logo.
- Header HTML - code that goes at the top of every page.
- Welcome message - text or HTML that gets displayed on the Welcome page.
The system automatically enforces a few constraints on the appearance
settings - for instance, the various colors can't be too similar to each other,
and the logo can't be too large.
Change Default Hotlist
New users get an initial hotlist, which can be set here.
See the description of hotlist on the
Create a New Conference
The options for creating a new conference are:
- Conference name - one word, letters and numbers only, beginning with
- One-line description - a sentence describing the conference.
This appears on the
and in the
- Initial hosts - usernames who will be hosts of the conference at first.
- Type - this can be public, private, read-only, or fishbowl.
In a public conference, anyone on the system can read and post.
Private conferences are accessible only to users on their readlist.
Read-only conference may be read by anyone, but only those on the
postlist may post.
And in fishbowl conferences, you have to be on the readlist to read and on
the postlist to post.
Change a Conference
This lets administrators change the one-line description, hosts, and
type of an existing conference.
Destroy a Conference
Removes a conference from the system. Requires confirmation.
Change a User's Password
If a user forgets his or her password, an administrator can set it to
something else. It is impossible for an administrator to find out
a user's current password. This command could also be used to temporarily
lock a user out of the system, for whatever reason.
Delete a User
Removes a user from the system. Requires confirmation.
Close the System
Temporarily locks out all non-administrator users.
All they get is an admin-specified message.
commands help page,
ACME News Admin <email@example.com>